Anaximander (Anaximandros) (ca 610 - ca 546 BC), Greek (jan 1, 610 BC – jan 1, 546 BC)
From Miletus in Ionia
- Material monism (substance materialism).
- Apeiron (the indefinite) is the arche. It is the original stuff, the fundamental cause or first principle that explains everything.
- The apeiron generates the opposites hot and cold which in turn generates the rest of the cosmos.
- If Anaximander really was a material monist, then he thought that apeiron persists through change.
- None of his writings remains.
- Student of Thales
- Teacher of Anaximenes
Added to timeline: