June 15, 2020
For educational institutions
Mattie Midgette timeline.
⟶ Updated 9 Apr 2019 ⟶
List of edits
Mattie Midgette is born to Willie & Nellie Twiford, January 23, 1897, in Mags Head Woods.
Mattie Midgette's Store & House listed in the National Register of Historic Places
Louis Armstrong plays at the CASINO Ballroom in Nags Head
Mattie opens her store near the soundside resort in 1914 when she was 17 years old.
Nellie Myrtle Pridgen passed away 7-21-1992
Nellie Myrtle Midgette is born to Mattie & Jethro Midgette on May 17, 1918, in Nags Head Woods,
Nell's daughter and Beachcomber Museum founder, Carmen Lee Pridgen, is born 7-10-1937
Nell finds her prized Argonaut shell in front of the Arlington Hotel, 1957.
1987: National Geographic Magazine writer Charlie Cobb walks with Nell on her beach, she tells him "to know what the sea is doing, you must see it on every tide."
1937: President F.D. Roosevelt visits across the street from Mattie's store at the Buchanan cottage before attending the "Lost Colony" outdoor drama at Waterside Theater in Manteo.
The Midgette's roll their store and family home to the new Beach Road constructed along the oceanfront in 1932 .
1962: The Ash Wednesday Storm strikes the Outer Banks on March 7, proving Jethro's concerns over the bypass to have been correct.
Mattie sells longer pier pilings to her brother-in law Graham Hollowell, owner of the legendary Hollowell Hotel. He used them to extend his soundside pier further into the sound to accept steamers directly from Elizabeth City.
Jethro Hooper Midgett is born in Mann's Harbor, May, 11, 1893.
1960: Jethro and Mattie Midgette make their concerns about the potential effects of the proposed plans for the construction of the elevated bypass known, citing the potential for catastrophic flooding from water trapped between the oceanfront and the raised highway.
September, 1926: Mattie's parents sell 772 acres, including "Kill Devil Hill", to noted artist, developer, and conser- vationist Frank Stick in 1928 for $10,000.
Some event happened
Francis Nixon “discovers” Nags Head in 1830 and purchases 200 acres to use as his summer retreat.
William Otis Twiford and Penelope Ella Russell are both born in the Nags Head Woods in 1870
About & Feedback