Get Premium for free!
Dmitri Mendeley Timeline
11 months ago
1) Born in Tobolsk,Siberia(Russia)
2) Traveled to Moscow and St. Petersburg with his mother for education After 10 days mother died of tuberculosis
3) Scientist met in one of the first international chemistry conferences and decided hydrogen to be given the weight of one and all other elements would be compared to it
4) Returned to Russia Became a professor at Technical Institute in St. Petersburg Published Organic Chemistry Students were having difficulties understanding chemistry with no clear system or framework to explain relationships of the elements
6) Inspired by the card game solitaire he created element cards and attempts to arrange them with weight and properties on them into a single framework Info A story told that Mendeleev dream't all the elements fell into place as required and upon awakening he wrote it down and later drew a table of it. Unaware he arrange the elements in increasing atomic number order. Left blank spaces as placeholders predicting it for unknown elements that hasn't been discovered
7) a German chemist Julius Lothar Meyer published a paper describing the same organizations of the elements. The 2 chemist had similar backgrounds but Mendeleev got the credit because he published his findings first
8) Mendeleev noticed that when he put the atoms in order of atomic masses, some atoms were missing, so Mendeleev left spaces in the periodic table and within 15 years the missing elements were discovered confirming the acceptance of Mendeleev periodic table.
9) a new set of elements, the noble gases, were added to the table
10) Death(age 72) St. Petersburg
5) Began writing Principles of Chemistry to organize and explain elements
About & Feedback