jan 1, 800 - Château Comtal at Carcassonne
1. How did a castle and fortification walls protect a medieval town and serve its economic needs?
- double walls, inner walls, curtains, as well as holding water
2. Who built the Château Comtal at Carcassonne? What are some of the defensive features found in the design of the castle, walls, and gates?
- Vicomtes de Trencaval
- Defenders shoot from within towers using arrows and catapults
3. Who added the bastide to Carcassonne and why? How does a bastide differ from other medieval towns? What are some of the characteristics seen in the plan and buildings of Carcassonne?
- King Louis IX to encourage trade and commerce
- orthogonal plan (intersecting streets)
- no walls so it could expand over time, church near center
Added to timeline:
Arch 250 Klein Exam 1 Timeline
Timeline of Prof. Klein Architecture Survey 2