dec 25, 1500 - Wall plaque, from Oba’s Palace
16th Century CE
Edo peoples, Benin (Nigeria)
• Depicts Oba (king) and his attendants from Benin Empire
• Attendants holding shields to protect Oba, Oba has coral beaded regalia
• Range in size due to importance "hierarchic scale"
• Attendants could have been warriors, servants, diplomats, chieftains, and priests
• Hung alongside many others on posts throughout palace
• Order of posts tell history or royal lineage of Benin's Obas
• Order was lost in storage
Artists created plaques and sculptures "lost wax casting technique"
Added to timeline:
AP Art History