jan 1, 1860 - Late Nineteenth Century XIX
-The Direct Method
- Linguists emphasized that speech was more important.
- The International Phonetic Association was founded in 1886.
- The International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) was designed to enable the sounds of any language to be accurately transcribed.
- Only everyday vocabulary and sentences were taught.
- Oral communication skills were the target.
- Grammar was taught inductively.
Added to timeline:
History of Language Teaching
Sagrario Cristela Escobedo Ortega