apr 8, 1851 - Poona College / Deccan College.
It is one of the oldest institutions of modern learning in India. It was started under Mountstuart Elphinstone (Lt. Governor of Bombay Presidency), with funds diverted from the erstwhile Peshwa's Dakshina Fund, later disbursed by Sardar Khanderao Dabhade after the Territories of the Peshwa were annexed in 1818. It was also known as the Poona Sanskrit College. The first principal was Major Thomas Candy.
In 1837, English and other modern subjects were added to the curriculum. An English school was added to the college in 1842; on 7 June 1851 the English school was merged with the Hindoo College to form Poona College. In 1857, the principal was Sir Edwin Arnold, followed by W.A. Russell in 1860.
From its original location in Vishrambaug Wada and later in Wanowrie, the Poona College was shifted to its present large campus near Yerawada. The land was donated by the Bombay government. The foundation stone of the main building was laid on 15 October 1864. A Victorian neo-Gothic building was constructed by Sir Henry Bartle Frere with a munificent 1,00,000 rupees from Sir Jamsetjee Jejeebhoy, 2nd Baronet, between Kirkee and Yerwada.
Added to timeline:
History of Education in India during Colonial Times- 1700-1947
Editors: Shivakumar Jolad, Susanna G and Pranjali Kulkarni with inputs from HS 511- Class- 2017, IIT Gandhinagar