jan 1, 1615 - National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy
National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy is one of the oldest higher schools in Europe. This educational institution was founded in 1615 as Kyiv Brotherhood School. In 1632, it merged with Kyiv Pechersk Lavra and was named after Kyiv Metropolitan Petro Mohyla. In 1658, the school became the first Orthodox educational institution in Eastern Europe that was assigned a status of Academy. In 1817, the Academy was closed based on decision of government. During Soviet era, the building of Academy served as a residence of navy school. In 1992, the Academy was re-opened as National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, and nowadays it is one of the most prestigious institutions of higher education in Ukraine. It includes six faculties and Kyiv-Mohyla business school.
Added to timeline: