apr 23, 1784 - "Land Ordinance
The Land Ordinance of 1784 is a resolution written by T.J. regarding westward expansion. The five main provisions of the resolution are as follows:
(1) New states shall remain a part of the United States of America
(2) Said states shall have the same relationship to the confederacy as the original states
(3) Said states shall pay their share of the federal debt
(4) Said states shall maintain a republican form of government
(5) By the year 1800, slavery and involuntary servitude shall be prohibited in all of the new states
Before Congress votes on and enacts the resolution, a motion is made for the removal of clause 5. Unfortunately the motion is approved and passes by just one vote, thus prolonging emancipation. Two days after the resolution is enacted, T.J. writes to Madison describing his dismay and distress regarding the removal of clause 5.
Added to timeline:
Hi folks! As indicated by the title, this is a timeline on T...