Thales (ca 624 - ca 546 BC), Greek (jan 1, 625 BC – jan 1, 545 BC)
From Miletus in Ionia
- Material monism (substance materialism).
- Everything is, or comes from, water; water is the arche. It is the original stuff, the fundamental cause or first principle that explains everything else in the cosmos.
- If Thales really was a material monist, then he thought that water persists through change.
- Natural phenomena are not explained in terms of divine intervention.
- Everything is full of gods (which would seem to make water divine and divinity material).
- None of his writings remains.
- Teacher of Anaximander
Added to timeline: