Articles of Confederation (jan 2, 1781 – jan 1, 1788)
- By 1778, 10 states have constitutions, other three (RI, MA, CT) have updated charters, which emphasize smaller central govt., consent of the governed. Some include list of individual rights that the govt. must protect.
- Articles have WEAK FEDERAL GOVT. -- can only declare war, sign treaties, create new states.
- Can't levy taxes (no source of income), raise troops, regulate interstate commerce
- No central executive
- Unicameral legislature with each state getting one vote
- Ratification and amendment required UNANIMOUS consent
Added to timeline: