Get Premium for free!
7 months ago
Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virginia.
Jefferson drew up plans for an observatory at the University of Virginia.
Jefferson converted Proctor’s house on Monroe Hill into a building for astronomical observations.
Glass for the lens was drawn up by Chance and Co. of Birmingham, England
Glass was shipped to Alvan Clark and Sons of Cambridgeport, MA who ground the lens
Great fire in Chicago caused the McCormick family financial distress which caused the telescope donation to be postponed.
McCormick made an official offer of the telescope to the University of Virginia
Leander James McCormick donated a 26 inch telescope and observatory, which is named after him, and was built on Mount Jefferson.
The Board of Visitors appointed a committee to select a site for the observatory and the committee selected Mount Jefferson later this year.
Ormond Stone becomes first director of Observatory.
First officially recorded observation was of Venus by Ormond Stone and Professor Francis Smith.
Construction began of the observatory and the director’s house.
Worcester Warner and Ambrose Swasey applied for a patent for the dome design with its three six-foot apertures and circular track system that allowed for easy turning of the dome
The director’s house was ready for habituation by fall of 1883.
Wilson Brothers of Philadelphia finished the observatory and installed the telescope inside
Dedication of the telescope (Thomas Jefferson’s birthday)
Last Expedition directed by Ormond Stone
Observatory hired 3 women as assistants since 90% of UVA male were in the war fighting.
About & Feedback