Get Premium for free!
Zoom - USEM 1580
5 months ago
Chicago Fire: Wiped out most of the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company, as well as Leander McCormick's house, caused delay on Observatory donation
Donation of Observatory: On December 17, 1877 McCormick made an official offer to the University of Virginia. He offered to contribute the telescope, valued at $50,000 and an additional $18,000 for the building if the University could produce equal funds for the building and staff. In total, the university raised $70,000.
Official Dedication of Observatory: On TJ's birthday, ceremony to dedicate the observatory to Leander McCormick
Leander McCormick is Born in Rockbridge County, Virginia. By 1870, the McCormicks were one of the wealthiest families in America.
First Observation made by the telescope at McCormick Observatory: The first officially recorded observation was a transit of Venus observed by Ormond Stone and Prof. Francis Smith on this day.
Applied for Patent: Patent for the Observatory applied for on this day for its design
Thomas Jefferson completes plans for an observatory at the University of Virginia
Thomas Jefferson officially incorporates the University of Virginia
Glass used for the lens of the telescope is shipped to Alvan Clark & Sons to be completed for the telescope at UVA
Ormond Stone becomes first official director of the Leander McCormick Observatory
Construction begins on the McCormick Observatory, Director's House (Ormond Stone)
Design of lens glass is completed by Chance and Co. a company from England
The Director's House is completed and fully equipped for living, Ormond Stone moves in
Last expedition is led by Ormond Stone, the first director of the McCormick Observatory
Samuel Alfred Mitchell becomes second director of the McCormick observatory
Harold L. Alden becomes third director of the McCormick Observatory
Share on Google+
Share on Facebook
Submit to Reddit
Share on LinkedIn
Post to Tumblr