Small Project 6
Madison Riehle, Kathleen Rocks, Ben Foley, Grace Polk, Allie Hoerster, Michael Kenney
4 months ago
1844: Four Holy Cross Sisters from Le Mans France establish the first women’s counterpart to Notre Dame in Bertrand, Michigan. It is the first women’s college in the Great Lakes region.
1855: Under Mother Angela Gillespie, the first American to head Saint Mary's Academy, the school moved to its present site in northern Indiana.
1908: The school’s charter, for St. Mary’s Academy, is updated to authorize the existence of a college. Sr. Pauline O’Neill, CSC becomes the first president and oversees significant growth of the college during this time.
1924: Construction for Le Mans Hall, St. Mary’s largest building, is begun.
1934: Sister Madeleva Wolff began teaching at St. Mary’s. The Madeleva Society, Madeleva Memorial Classroom Building and the Madeleva Lecture Series were created to commemorate her.
1943: Sr. Madeleva Wolff founds the School of Sacred Theology. This is the first graduate program in theology that is open to women.
1972: Merger between Saint Mary’s and all-male Notre Dame is halted by Notre Dame’s president Father Hesburgh.
1882: Our Lady standing atop the Dome, a gift from SMC, is erected.
1973: Saint Mary’s College established a four-year Bachelor of Nursing Program.
2015: Saint Mary’s announced it would begin admitting men into some of its graduate programs.
Share on Google+
Share on Facebook
Submit to Reddit
Share on LinkedIn
Post to Tumblr